11 Things About Me:
- I doodle. All the time. Doodling helps me make sense of the world around me.
- I used to only wear the color blue.
- I have a scar from a hockey stick underneath my left eye.
- Outside my house in Abu Dhabi used to be a coconut tree.
- I eat apples from the bottom creating a flower shaped pattern.
- I have three brothers and always thought I would have sons. Instead, I have three daughters.
- I used to drink milk three times a day.
- I would rather make play dough than cook dinner.
- I trust clear shampoos and don’t like it when my shampoo is opaque.
- I am like a plant. I crave sunlight.
- My favorite age as a child was being 9 years old.
More About Me:
When I doodle, whether it be swirls or figurines, I am transformed to a world in which my doodles live, and my thoughts become clear. Similarly, when I take a break from the world around me, and take photos, my mind breathes. Through my art medium of Photos, Pencils, Paint, and Potting soil, I thrive. I am a doodler and writer any chance I get, a photographer on weekends, and a Stay-At-Home-Mom during the week to school aged girls Z, A, and baby H. I am also a teacher and have taught 2nd grade for 4 years, but am taking a break to mother and explore my creative outlet via the aforementioned 4 P’s.
You may know me as the author of Lailah’s Lunchbox. I started out this blog as a Stay-At-Home-Mom, but I’ve sort of morphed into a Work-and-Play-Whenever-I-Can-At-Home-Mom lately. My book Lailah’s Lunchbox was published in May 2015 via Tilbury House Publishing. I have 2 new books projected for 2019: Amira’s Picture Day (Holiday House, 2019) and Let Me Show You The Way (Eerdmans, 2019). I’m also represented by Kendra Marcus of Bookstop Literary Agency.
You can find me in an Atlanta park behind my camera since I’m a children-family-lifestyle photographer at ReemFaruqi Photography or typing out stories in my favorite matching pajamas (the floral ones my grandmother made me!) at random hours. I also work with the Islamic Speakers Bureau of Atlanta as a Scheduler and Communications Director. This photoblog is my stepping stone to making my dreams a reality, my happiest dream being my children’s books getting published! Thank you for stopping by!
How to Contact me:
If you want to send me a message, rather than commenting on the blog, please email me at Rfaruqi84@gmail.com. Or if you would like to talk to me about an author visit, writing or photography opportunities too, please do let me know at the same email address above.
I love receiving letters from students! Please email me if you want to set up a snail mail correspondence! I am also available to Skype with classrooms so please do get in touch.